This website provides all the information you need to have your professional qualifications officially recognised.

Why should you have your professional qualifications officially recognised?

A profession is referred to as « regulated » when it is necessary to hold a specific diploma, have passed certain exams, obtained a particular authorisation or be registered with a professional body, in order to exercise it.

It is mandatory to have your professional qualifications officially recognised if you are intending to work in another European Union country in which your profession is regulated. This means that your training and/or your professional experience is officially recognised by the country you will be working in.

  • If you are planning to settle in another country in order to exercise your profession, then this falls under the rules of « freedom of establishment » and it is mandatory to have your qualifications recognised.
  • If you are only planning to offer your services in another country on a temporary basis, then this is covered by the « freedom to provide a service » rules whereby making an official declaration before you carry out the first service is sufficient. However, an exception is made for those professions that may have a serious incidence on safety or health, and in this case the member country in which you will be working may require prior verification of your qualifications.

To find out more about the rules that apply to your situation, you should contact the national authority with responsibility for access to your profession in the country in which you will be working.

You can also consult the European regulated professions database that lists all the regulated professions within EU countries, together with their competent authorities.

  • If your profession is regulated in your country of origin, you can carry out a search in your own language and consult the English translation provided in the description. You should then carry out a search using the English name for your profession in order to obtain a list of the other countries in which this activity is regulated. If the country in which you are intending to work does not appear on that list, this may mean that your profession is not regulated there.
  • If you cannot find your profession in the database, we suggest that you contact the national information points for the recognition of professional qualifications in the country where you wish to work. They will be able to help you to identify the competent authority and determine the required documents.

Real also: The European Professional Card