By pursuing your navigation on this site, you accept the use of Cookies allowing to realize statistics of visits.Learn more I accept

I have a French degree...

Latest update:2020-05-03 15:13:47

... and I would like to have my professional qualification recognised in a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area

If you are a national of a Member State of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), holding a French diploma or a diploma issued by a third country and recognised by France, you must have your professional qualification recognised before you start practising in an EU or EEA Member State.

I want to move to an EU or EEA country where my profession is regulated

Before you start working in a country, find out about the regulated professions in that country. If your profession happens to be regulated, you need to have your professional qualification recognized. It's the competent authority the country in which you are establishing yourself to carry out your activity which is the reference as to the steps to follow.

Once you have obtained recognition, you can practice your profession as the nationals who have graduated there.

I want to deliver a one-time benefit in a Member State where my profession is regulated

To provide a temporary service abroad, you must be established in your country of origin but without the obligation to practice and recognition of professional qualifications is not necessary, only a written advance declaration is sufficient. Depending on the degree of impact of the profession on health or safety, the member country may ask to verify your professional qualification. A renewal of the declaration may be required annually if you continue to work temporarily in that country.

Good to know

If the profession is not regulated in the host state, the assessment of the diploma and the professional level belongs to the employer.


The authorities in the country in which you apply for recognition of your professional qualifications have one month to acknowledge your application and ask for other supporting documents.

Once the full file has been received, the authorities will decide within a time frame:

  • 3 months if you are a doctor, general care nurse, midwife, veterinarian, dentist, pharmacist or architect and you benefit from a automatic recognition  ;
  • 4 months for all other occupations.

Therefore, allow 5 months during which the qualification recognition takes place, an essential prerequisite before practising your profession legally in the Member State where you provide your service. After that time, contact the helpline or talk to national information points on the recognition of professional qualifications .

Going further

Useful links (European Commission website):

List of EU Member States

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, United Kingdom, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Czech Republic.

List of European Economic Area States

These are the 28 member countries of the European Union (EU) listed above and the following 3 countries: Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein.