By pursuing your navigation on this site, you accept the use of Cookies allowing to realize statistics of visits.Learn more I accept

Why have your professional qualifications recognized?

Latest update:2020-05-03 15:13:52

A profession is called "regulated" when it is necessary to hold a specific diploma, to have passed specific examinations, to have obtained a certain authorization or to be registered with a professional body to carry it out.

Getting your professional qualifications recognised is imperative when you want to work in another EU country in which your profession is regulated. This means having his training and/or professional experience officially recognized by the host country.

  • If it is a question of moving to another country to practice its profession, it is in the case of the free establishment and it is essential to make the recognition of his qualifications.
  • If it is a matter of providing services on a temporary basis in another country, the case is to free service delivery and a pre-exercise declaration is sufficient. There is an exception for occupations with serious health or safety implications as the host Member State may require a pre-qualification check.

To find out the rules that apply to your situation, please contact the national authority responsible for access to your profession in the host country.

You can also consult the European database of regulated professions which lists all regulated professions in EU countries and their competent authorities.

  • If your profession is regulated in your home country, you can search for it in your own language and view the English translation provided in the description; you then have to search for the English name, in order to get a list of the other countries where this occupation is regulated. If the country where you wish to settle does not appear, it may mean that the profession is not regulated.
  • If you can't find your profession in the database, you can contact the National Information Points on the recognition of professional qualifications in the country where you want to work. They can help you find the appropriate authority and determine the required documents.

Read also: European Professional Card (CPE)